Friday, November 23, 2012

On the Road to Kled

"My friends and I thought it was best to join a caravan for the long journey to Kled. The journey passed uneventfully until the caravan was attacked by a tribe of halflings. We crushed the little maggots of course. Then one night Rhagar and I were on guard duty and we saw a tent."

My father paused then and an expression of exquisite grief crossed his countenance. That look told me what had happened next but I wanted to hear it in his own words so I said, "Is that when you found mother's body?"

After a long pause the ghost of Torvek continued, "No 'Mina not then but it was soon afterward. Rhagar and I reluctantly entered the tent and as it turned out there were no monsters or defilers just a powerful genie that liked to gamble. To make a long story short the stupid genie loved to gamble and he was willing to bet you whatever you wanted. Well at the time it seemed like the answer to my problems. The first thing I won was a magic amulet that would lead me to your mother. Later I realized that I was the stupid one not the genie. I should have asked for an amulet that would lead me to you 'Mina. I also managed to cheat the genie out of a more powerful magic axe not that it really matters. I used the amulet constantly the new couple of weeks as we traveled and eventually it led me to my beloved Frigga or at least her body. Your mother's body was blackened and it looked like defiling magic. My wife was dead and you were nowhere to be found so I was worse off than before. A giant worm put a stop to my self pity and we forced to fight for our lives once again. As deadly as it was a single monster can't stand up to the Unforgiven and we cut it down after a long and exhausting battle."

No comments:

Post a Comment